Every contest needs some rules. Here’s what’s expected for our Greens Cook-off:
1. Entries are for “Greens.” Collard, Turnip, Mustard, Kale, Mixed, etc.—can be entered.
2. All recipes must contain at least 60% Greens as the primary ingredient.
3. Recipes containing PORK or BEEF ingredients are NOT permitted. For recipes requiring meat flavoring please substitute with smoked turkey, lamb, or chicken (as a healthy alternative.)
4. Participants must cook their Greens in their HOME kitchen using sanitary methods.
5. Bring pre-cooked and finished dishes to the Juneteenth Kick-Off Reception (Friday, June 16, 2017 ) in an electric warming dish or crockpot for the first round of judge tasting. Our Mess-O-Greens staff will provide electric strips and power cords for plugging heating devices.
6. Please prepare your greens recipe to serve a minimum of 25 people.
7. Tasting cups and tester forks will be provided for each entry.
8. All entries will be judged on the following criteria:
9. Cooks will be asked to provide the contents of their recipe. An ingredients card will be required and must accompany the dish at time of submission.
10. Each entry must be kept at an appropriate temperature throughout the contest. Cooks are responsible for their own heating and pot stirring.
11. Final judging will take place at 1:00 PM, Saturday, June 17, 2017. Prizes will be awarded at 2:00 PM.
12. During the final judging at Oxnard Juneteenth Celebration on Saturday, June 17, 2017, Greens will only be tasted by official judges and cannot be served for public tasting or consumption.
13. Entry will NOT be accepted without completed registration form and entry fee.
14. Registration form and entry fees must be submitted and received before
Friday, June 9, 2017, by 5:00 PM (PST)
15. Entry fee is non-refundable. Judges decisions are final.